Software engineer (backend)
job description and application below (share with contacts!)
ADV is a venture capital investor which has backed more than 40 startups across the UK including AI, FinTech, HealthTech and hardware companies.
We believe that a digital platform can significantly reduce the time and energy taken for founders to engage with investors. So far, we’ve built a beta of the platform in order to test our assumptions.
Now we need to scale. We’re looking for ambitious technology enthusiasts to help us achieve this. If you’re driven by big problems, have a skillset that you can bring to bear on our data challenges we want to hear from you.
About this role
Our biggest challenges are in the data domain. Capturing meaningful human interactions; harnessing data sets through APIs; analysing trends through AI; and presenting meaningful insights to enhance investment decision making.
- Working with business stakeholders, product managers and UX/UI designers to understand aims and goals and build out user stories appropriately
- Designing quality, reusable software, using appropriate languages and tools. This software will be part of our product and service portfolio and will include (but not be limited to) web applications, APIs, data processing and analysis and insight presentation
- Testing, deploying and maintaining code across our product and service portfolio
- Employing the relevant tools, environments and processes you feel are pertinent and work for ADV
- Continually learning and be open to new opportunities and ideas, as well as sharing your own
- Part of a remote working organisation which necessitates the need for excellent written and oral communication skills and mastery of tools such as Trello, Google Docs and Slack
- Getting together regularly with your colleagues from across the organisation keep up to date on how we’re doing and help shape the future
- An integral part of a dynamic, collaborative and transparent non-hierarchical team of talented and enthusiastic individuals
- A self starter, able to work efficiently, individually and as part of a team
- A degree in computer science or other technical programme
- Demonstrable experience of building & developing software using:
- Ruby (web development, APIs)
- ORM (object relational mapper)
- Postgres (prefered) or MySQL
- Docker (in a development environment)
- GitLabCI (preferred), CircleCI or Jenkins
- Test Driven Development using Rspec (preferred), Cucumber or Test::Unit
- Ideally understand and have experience of:
- Sequel (or other ORM such as ActiveRecord or Data Mapper)
- Sinatra (or other frameworks e.g. Rails)
- Amazon Web Services
- Comfortable with and have experience working within Agile delivery methodologies and frameworks, performing the necessary roles within these (e.g. within a scrum)
We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience. Our intent is for this to be a contract role initially with a view to making this a permanent position after six months.
To learn more please get in touch at email@example.com.
ADV is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age. You must be eligible to work in the UK with a valid visa or work permit.